A couple of days ago, on the 10th September, World Suicide Prevention Day was observed. According to the WHO, more than 700 000 people die to suicide every year and there are many more who attempt it. It represents the fact that mental health issues are prevalent & there is a need for us to raise awareness. And what better opportunity than now?
We, at The Like Me CIC, believe that mental well-being is of utmost importance. Therefore, we urge that if you see signs of somebody going through a tough time, do reach out to make sure they’re okay. If it turns out to be a false alarm, even then they’ll know that you care for them & support them.
Going through mental health issues is hard! It can sometimes feel impossible to carry on. To anybody who may feel like this, this is a message for you: You’ve made it this far & you will make it through. Depression plays with your mind, so don’t believe everything you think. You are stronger than you think. And you’re not alone. There are people who feel exactly the way you feel and people who love you & support you.
Here are some tips for anybody who’s going through a tough time: (Note: this isn’t expert advice)
- Learn to celebrate yourself & your achievements, however small you might think them to be. Even if you got up today and made yourself a cup of tea, that’s a great achievement. Celebrate your wins!
- Step outside. Take a walk in nature. Let the breeze wash over you!
- Hydrate! This may seem irrelevant but drinking enough water & eating well is vital. This is your reminder for today.
- Romanticise your life! Light your favourite scented candles to make your room smell nice. Watch the sunset & see how beautiful it looks. Appreciate the little things in your day. Though it won’t cure your mental illness, it will make your life a little brighter.
- Create your own affirmations & try to practice them daily!
- Realise that you have so many new experiences to encounter. You haven’t yet met all the people who will love you or found all the things that’ll make you happy. There are great things waiting for you ahead!
- Take a deep breath! Inhale for 4 seconds and exhale for 5. Such breathing exercises help us ground ourselves.
When we’re going through a tough time, it can feel like things will never get better again. But let me assure you, it WILL get better for you. There is a light at the end of the tunnel even if you don’t see it yet. If you’re going through a tough time or you feel that your mental health is deteriorating, we strongly recommend that you seek professional help & talk to people you trust. When you pour things out, you’ll not feel as weighed down anymore.
Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in 15-19 year olds according to the WHO. Therefore, we, at The Like Me CIC, are holding The Girls Like Me Conference on 9th October 2021 to enlighten girls aged 13-17 on the power & pitfalls of our digital generation and to provide them with the tools they need to better navigate their teen years & live their life in a meaningful way! Stay tuned for more information.
Leaving you with our perfect 4-step self-love recipe!